Washington County’s Gateway to the Adirondacks
Discover the wide-ranging but breath-taking vistas of Northwest Washington County! From acres of historic farmland to the lasting infrastructure of the Champlain Canal, you’ll find tons of cool things to do near Fort Ann, NY and Kingsbury, NY.
Whether you’re looking for places to find neat gifts or one-of-a-kind experiences, you’ll find it here. Plus, there’s more great destinations in each direction! Whitehall to the north, Hudson Falls & Fort Edward to the South, Granville to the east – and so, so much more. We welcome you to discover the bounty of shopping opportunities, adventures, art and history hidden within the heart of Washington County.
Let’s explore cool things to do in Fort Ann & Kingsbury in Northwest Washington County!
Fort Ann, NY
If you’re looking for rural, natural beauty, it doesn’t get better than Fort Ann. From handmade gifts to delicious food & locally-made adult craft beverages, you’ll find it right in the heart of Washington County.
As one of New York’s most agriculturally-focused regions, you’ll delight in the variety of local farms that host a variety of events & opportunities for the public. Of course, many of these businesses are open seasonally, so call ahead before you head over!
For example, if you’ve ever wanted to walk through fields of lavender & breathe in the fresh scent, you can do just that at the nearby Lavenlair Farm. There, you can stock up on several varieties of lavender for all your decorative & culinary needs!
Alternatively, if you’re an animal lover, you’ll want to check out Dove Haven Farm. They host farm visits, special events, and best of all: goat yoga. Or, in the winter, stop by Stiles Family Farm to pick up your own locally-grown trees, wreaths, and kissing balls.
But if you’re in the mood for shopping, here’s some great options:
Adirondack Mountain Rustic Gallery is open by appointment & offers hand-crafted, heirloom-quality, one-of-a-kind furniture creations.
Carrying nearly everything you need for life in Washington County, Walker’s Farm, Home & Tack also sells a variety of unique products, gifts, tools & more! You’re sure to find a neat souvenir for everyone on your list from their huge store.
You’ll also want to explore Fort Ann’s other unforgettable activities & attractions! Here’s just a few:
- Channel your inner model & have your own personal photo-shoot! Contact Erica Woodward Photography to set up your session in beautiful upstate NY, ideal for families, weddings, events & more.
- Take a scenic tour of the Adirondacks & Lake George aboard a chopper with North Country Heliflite.
- Watch a race or take a spin around the track yourself with Adirondack MX, whose motocross track is generally open April 1st – November 1st.
- Catch a game or plan a team retreat to the Golden Goal Sports Park, the Northeast’s premier residential sports venue.
- Take a horseback riding lesson at Vertical Farm Equine, who teach both English & Western disciplines.
- Mini-golf to your heart’s content at the Hillbilly Fun Park‘s 2 uniquely decorated courses
Further into Northwest Washington County: East Fort Ann & Kingsbury
Worked up an appetite after all that adventuring? You’ve got a variety of unique dining options to choose from! Local favorites include Mernie’s Pub, Scrappy’s Diner, Sally’s Hen House, or Grumbellies Eatery! Or, enjoy deliciously unexpected combinations at Battle Hill Brewing.
If you’ve fallen in love with the area & are looking for a wedding venue, you’re in luck! Both The Barn at 870 and Country Meadows Barn are located nearby, offering you several breathtaking yet budget-friendly options.
Last but not least, you may want to visit Kane’s Falls off the NYS Champlain Barge Canal, a local favorite spot to fish & paddle! Nearby, you’ll also find the Lake George Wild Forest, hiding a number of trails & scenic overlooks. This forest also holds the hidden gem Shelving Rock Falls!
There’s so many fun things to see, taste and explore in this area of Washington County, you’ll likely want to spend the night! Here’s just a few local options in the Fort Ann area:
- Moose Hillock Camping Resort, rated the best family camping resort near Lake George, offering campsites, cabins & more.
- Lake Hadlock Inn and Campground, located on scenic historic grounds & lovingly restored to the inn’s former glory
Looking for more interesting things to see, taste & explore in Northwest Washington County?
Or, if you’re looking for ideas, check out our variety of experiential trails.